Paypal

Saturday, December 26, 2015

World War I Letters of Russell County, February 8, 1918

The following letter originally appeared in the February 8th, 1918 issue of the Clinch Valley News.

FROM A RUSSELL COUNTY BOY IN FRANCE.

The following letter was received yesterday from Robert K. White, a Russell boy, who recently went to France with an aero squadron:

On Active Service with the American Expeditionary Force, Jan. 4, 1918.

Editor Clinch Valley News:

Am writing you a few lines to let you know that I am still receiving your paper, and believe me, I am always glad when I get them, and would be glad if you would change it to my present address in place of the one it is coming in now. Enjoyed a fine Christmas, much better than expected. Had many things we wanted to eat and more, too. A little bit of everything.

How are the boys enjoying themselves at Camp Lee? Noticed in your paper where most all of the boys were coming home for Christmas. Well, this is most all I can think of or at least can write that would be of interest.

Very respectfully,
SERGT. ROBT. K. WHITE,

32 Aero Squadron, A. E. F., France

I have taken out $10,000 insurance which I thought would be the best to do. Most all the boys have done likewise.

Censored:
1st. Lieut. L. W. Kunze, A. S. S. S. C. U. S. A.