Paypal

Saturday, December 19, 2015

Civil War Letter of Kate Cox to Price N. Demint

Strange things turn up in family archives. Ours has tons of legal documents, land deals, checks, IOUs, etc., along with the expected family letters and photos. Our family archive also has several letters from people we are not related to. For example, the below letter from Kate Cox of Carrollton, Kentucky, to Price Demint. Demint was serving in the 4th Kentucky Cavalry, which was stationed in the Russell County area. This letter was addressed to Abingdon, Va.

Carrollton, Ky
August 20th, 64

Mr. P. N. Demint

I expect you will be a little surprised when receiving letter from me; but I had not heard from you for so long I concluded to write. I am anxious for you all to get through fighting & come home for we young ladies scarcely ever have been[?] & especialy myself. I am waiting for some of Morgans brave men to come home before I marry. I was glad to hear you had got back into Va safe, yet I cant see how so many of you escaped. It is great wonder you all was not killed & captured. I seen Comfort the other day & they had just received a letter from you & was rejoyecing considerable over it as you so seldom wrote. I suppose though you all have forgotten your friends in Kentucky as you never shout[?] to write. Give my compliments to Mr. Ford Haydon & tell him his folks are all well. Mr. McElrath is prisnor at Rock Island Leah Bates received letter from him few days ago. Remember me to all the boys & tell them they must take good care of them selfs. Answer if worthy.

Respectfully yours
Kate Cox

Here is some basic information about people mentioned in the letters:


Kate Cox, possibly first cousin to Sarah Cox, who married Price N. Demint in 1866.

Price N. Demint, 3rd Sergeant, Co. B 4th Kentucky Cavalry. Enlisted June 2, 1862 in Abingdon, Va. Sick at Lebanon, Va, July and August, 1863. , b. 9-21-38 d. 2-26-1917, buried Carrollton, KY IOOF

Thomas J. McElrath, 2nd Sergeant, Co. B 4th Kentucky Cavalry. Enlisted September 10, 1862 in Trimble County, Kentucky. Taken prisoner as a private at Mt. Sterling, Kentucky, June 10, 1864. Sent to Rock Island, June 22, 1864. In hospital, Howard's Grove, Richmond, Va, February 25, 1865, discharged February 26, 1865. Remarks "PP".

Ford Haydon,  F. V. Hayden, private, Co. F, 4th Kentucky Cavalry. Enlisted September 10th, 1862 at New Liberty, Kentucky.

Comfort Demint, sister of Price Nuttall Demint.