Paypal

Monday, June 1, 2020

World War I Letters of Russell County, January 31, 1919

The following letter originally appeared in the January 31st issue of the Lebanon News:

"A Lebanon Boy Writes From Germany

American Expeditionary Forces,
Office of Assistent Provost Marshal
42 Division
Ahrweider Germany, Dec. 25, '18

Mr. E. R. Combs,
Lebanon, Va.

Dear Uncle,

Your letter of November 20th, just received, and I agree with you in regard to the end of the war. Of course, we came over here with only one aim - to win the war and talk about it afterwards, but I, as well as everybody I know over here, am glad that it is all over and that we got off with as few casualties as possible. I was very sorry to hear that Lawrence Robinson had been killed, but some of us had to pay the price.

I understand that the President is now in France, but I do not think he has ever been in Germany. I have heard that he does not intend coming up here. I am glad he came over and feel sure that peace terms will be drawn up much quicker with him present, and that's what I'm looking for, as I am of the opinion that the "Rainbow" is bilted with the Army of Occupation until everything is straightened out. Since the march and the hardest part of the work is over, I am glad we were put in the Third Army, or Army of Occupation, as most of us would have felt slighted had we been left out and sent back in France to await the final wind-up. We had a pretty long march from Bugency France through Belgium and Luxembourg into Germany, but most of the time we had good weather and very good roads. We were thirty days on the march, of course we rested at a few places five or six days, but I guess Sherman has nothing on us for marching. We started November 14th and finished up here on December 16th.

I have heard a good deal of stuff about the 10th C. A. C. expecting to come over here to do guard duty, while we were being sent back home and mustered out, but I'm afraid they are guessing too much, as I feel sure we have enough troops in this country to do the guard duty, even if all of the Divisions that were in the front lines were sent home. Out of the 60 Divisions, not more than one third of them every got close enough to hear the guns, much less get into action. Looking at it in this light, I guess C. D. and Bill will have to put off their trip to France and Germany. Am expecting to receive a letter every day saying they have been mustered out of the service. They are perfectly welcome to the trip and the guard duty also, but I guess it isn't reasonable.

So far, I have not heard of any friction between US and the German civilians. They do as they are told and tell us how glad they are that the Americans are occupying this particular part instead of the French or English, and on the French and English from they are tell them the same thing. I don't care how much they say they like us, I won't believe it, as I do not see how I could like an invading Army, no matter how considerate. We are treating them better than I ever thought we would. We do not ask for anything unless we pay them for it. Of course we requisition, but they will get their money. Almost all of the men have returned, that is the ones that live on this side of the Rine, and we do not bother them so long as they leave off their darned old green uniform. But I guess we don't love our enemies like we ought to.

Have been hearing all kinds of dope about coming home and every time the date set comes around is just 40 days more. The latest date for sailing is Jan. 17th. Have heard that we are to go on down the Rine and sail from some port in Germany and that we were going back through France also. I don't care which, so long as we go. My, but I would feel like a millionaire on one of those Hommer 40, Chevaus 8 ([...] long), again. Last spring and summer re rode them so much that it was almost a second nature and I guess I am going to hunt up a real box car to come one on. Passenger cars are not in my line any more. we have some real box cars over here with two wheels under each end and U. S. A. in big red letters on them. They make me homesick every time I see one.

Talking about making me homesick, but while we were at Apremont, just before the final showdown, and American train came into a town about four or five miles back that had a real N. & W. passenger train whistle on it. I'g get up anytime to see that train it had been a little closer. I'd dear that whistle and immagine No. 8 comin' in.

Your nephew
ELLIS HARGIS

P. S. Stanley Hargis and Pete Shomaker are both stirring and are as usual."