Paypal

Saturday, December 9, 2017

The World War II Letters of Billy J. Campbell, Letter 7

Somewhere on Luzon
June 18, 1845

Dear Mom,

Well so far I am still in the same place and feeling fine. Working some, eating a whole lot and sleeping more than anything else. I have done about as much writing as anything else. I should have plenty of mail one of these days if they all answer it. I have written everybody that I got letters from when I got off the boat. And a few more besides. There isn't much to write about but I guess I can say hello and goodbye. A few interesting things but part of them we can't write about. Plenty of the native customs are interesting and as long as we don't talk against them it's O. K.

Boy somebody really goofed off back in the States or they haven't been to the Philipines or or the other. When we started getting ready to come over here they said don't take any moeny, you won't need it and can't spend it. That may have been true when we get closer up but it isn't here. Maybe you had better send me somemoney, it is still a few days yet untill payday. Just registered mail I guess is the easiest. I want to get some souveniers; I have seen some pretty nice ones.

We get cigarettes and beer rations pretty cheap but other stuff is just as high as anywhere. I get my cigarettes and beer then then trade the beer to a fellow that doesn't smoke for his cigarettes. That is the way we get most ever-thing we have something we can't use we trade it to one of our buddies for some-thing he doesn't wan't.

Gilbert and Mason comes over here once in awhile to talk about something.

Well I had better stop now, it is getting dark.

Tell Susie and Ham hello and be good. I will write more soon. Don't worry about me.

Love
Billy