Paypal

Thursday, June 25, 2015

The World War II Letters of Billy J. Campbell, Letter 1

Billy James Campbell was born on August 30th, 1925 in Lebanon, Virginia. On December 20, 1944, at the age of 19 years, he enlisted in the Army. He did basic training at Camp Wheeler, Georgia, then advanced training at Fort George Meade, Maryland. In mid-1945 he traveled across the county by train, to San Francisco, where he boarded a boat for the Pacific Theater. He was assigned to the 61st Field Artillery Battalion, a unit of the 1st Cavalry Division. He stopped in Hawaii and Manila en route to Luzon, which had been captured a few months earlier. He spent most of his war time service on Luzon, training replacements for the Division. After the Japanese surrender on August 12, 1945, he was stationed in Japan for several months. He returned stateside and was stationed at Fort Jackson, South Carolina, again training recruits. He was finally discharged on November 14, 1946. Ten letters written by Bill survive, plus one from his mother to him. This is the first.

January 8, 1945

Pvt. Billy J. Campbell
A. S. N. 33666491
Co. "D" - 12th Inf. Tig. Bn.
Camp Wheeler, Ga

Mrs. W. B. Campbell
Lebanon, Va.

Tell Susy hello.
Camp Wheeler Sat. Night
Dear Mom,

Well I have finished my first week of training and I feel pretty good. It hasn't been so hard on my body, but they tell you so much stuff you can't remember half of it. I have had a cough ever since I have been down here. They call it the Georgia Ack Ack and say everybody takes it. It doesn't hurt me but is just a bother.

They sure have our days planned for us. We get up at six and they give us a different something every hour. We got our rifles last night and we have to keep them spotless. I was gassed five times yesterday but don't get alarmed, it didn't hurt me. They put us in a tear gas chamber and made us remove our gas masks and walk out. Everybody in the whole Company was crying. It burned our eyes and made them water but that was all. They burned for about 10 min.

We have learned how to march, how to take our rifles apart and clean them and a little bit about the manual of arms. We have had a lot of pictures and lectures of first aid and discipline. We have had a little bit of everything.

I have been nervous one time since I have been here. Most of the time when we go anywhere, the whole company goes which is about 200 or 250 men. Yesterday when we started back from the gas chamber (about 2 miles) my sargent told me to take the flag to the sargent who was suposed to carry it. It is our Co. flag which goes in front all time. When I get up front I couldn't find the guy so I had to carry it myself. I had to march at the head of the company with a Lieutent (cant spell it?) and carry that flag. Every time he wanted me to change directions he would give me an order. I didn't miss a step though all the way in and I am glad.

How is everything going there? I guess it is still cold. It is not so awful cold down here. We take our overcoats most of the time but take them off when we start to do something. We went on a cross country course to day for the first time. We would march for about 100 yds and then double time that far. We went about 2 miles.

I met two boys from Lebanon at the PX to night. One was Tom Ferguson's boy and the other a Price boy from the loop. Alfred V. is still here but in another company. I haven't seen him since last Sunday. I will probably see him tomorrow. I don't know what we will have to do tomorrow. I hope it is rest. I guess I had better stop now and write Chil[?] (Fred sent me those colored pictures. I got 9 letters from her yesterday and one from you. I got one from Chil, one from you and one from Aunt Mabel to day. Tell Gleaver I will try to write him when I get time. They have kept us busy. (over)

They give us good eats, but not enough of them. You can go back for seconds if you can run fast, but most of the time you miss mail call if you stay in the Mess Hall to long. This is the mosts important thing around here. Will have to quit now. Lights have been out for about an hour now. I am sitting on the stairway writing. that is the only light we have after 9. My buddy Philip Constant from Danville, is right behind me writing someone.
Love
Billy

P. S. Have been on K. P. once, from 5 A. M. until 5 P. M. next day.

PP. SS. Tell dad to get me a good cigarette lighter and send me. We can get plenty of cigarettes but no matches or lighters.

P.P.P.S.S.S. You wanted to know where this place is, well I don't even know myself where it is. I couldn't get out of Battalion area untill to night and then we could go to town. We are about seven miles from Macon. I don't think I will go out for a few weeks yet. The only time I have is Sunday, part of the day and night. I ever get done work in the barracks until lights out, then I write on the stairway.