Paypal

Wednesday, March 4, 2015

Knock knock, Who's There - Shotgun!


 I started transcribing Southwest Virginia censuses in 1996. The first three went live on my original website later that year. They were the 1860 censuses for Russell County, Wise County, and Buchanan County.

In the last year I've added the 1850, 1870, 1880, and 1900 censuses for Russell County. By my count that's over 61,000 census entries that I've transcribed and made available freely.

When transcribing the censuses you occasionally come across unusual entries, names, occupations, etc. Here are a few of my favorites.

In the Elk Garden District of the 1880 Russell County census, we find the family of Reuben Price, living in a farmhouse. We also find this notation:

"Best information I could obtain of this family. No body at home but small children."



Later in the same census we get this absolutely wonderful occupation for John G. Duff:

"Watching with arms for his enemies."



I often imagine myself in the role of the census taker, in this case Dr. Charles W. Johnson. I think it would be trouble enough to visit every house in your district, much less contend with the often cantankerous Appalachian backwoodsman. But this would really take the cake! I picture Dr. Johnson asking for the occupation, getting this reply, asking again, getting the same reply, perhaps with more emphasis, and then reluctantly writing it down. "And underline it, dammit!"

I find no evidence that John G. Duff was mentally unstable, although he was involved in several lawsuits related to his declaring bankruptcy in 1872. The lawsuits lasted for decades.

Maybe the fact that Dr. Johnson served in the same Civil War unit, the 37th Virginia Infantry, as Samuel A. Duff, John G. Duff's son, helped.


Finally, the last entry for Elk Garden District, 1880 Russell County census. By this time (I imagine) Dr. Johnson is sick and tired of this shit, and enters the following for Mary Martin's infant son:

"Wandering about with its mother. Wandering in the woods."