Paypal

Sunday, May 21, 2017

World War I Letters of Russell County, August 9, 1918

The following letter appeared in the August 9th, 1918 issue of the Lebanon News.

"Somewhere in France,"
July 2.

My dear Kitty:

Perhaps since I have gone so far away, it is not as active as the heading reads, but it is army life in its true meaning. You have no doubt been wondering why you have not heard from me before now, and I have also wondered why I have not written you.

Many times I have collected my pen and paper to write, when I begin to realize the face, that my vocabulary is very limited, as you well know, and that my mind is so absorbed that I cannot get my thoughts together enough to find words in which to express them on paper. Anyway you know I am very good at making excuses, especially when it comes to writing letters. We landed in France June 8th, all the way across no one could not help but enjoy every hour of the time spend on board the ship, even the boys who were very sick and "lost their beans overboard." We landed safely without any mishap or excitement throughout the voyage, at times the weather was cool and windy, the waves rolling high. We were all comfortable, cheerful and happy, as though we had nothing to fear, while our good ship moved on and on over the dark blue sea at a great pace. Still land was welcomed by all, and you should have heard the loud shouts and cheers from the brave "Sammies" as we neared the port. The port city (which I shall not name) was a good sized place, and if ever I had my "mouth" open looking it was while we were marching through the city after we had got off the ship.

Thought it was the greatest sight of my life to march through the streets and look at the people watching us pass by, most all would wave their hand and smile, but behind that smile there seemed to be sorrow written so deep in their faces that one could not overlook it. Even to the little children who cannot realize what it all means by woring have the same sad expression, because they seem to have been deprived of lifes essentials. We hiked out a little way from this town to what is called a rest camp. Here we remained for a few days rest, then continued our journey by rail, which has been a pleasant and very interesting trip since, we have been able to see a great deal of the country of sunny France, which is a real beauty. Much more beautiful than I can describe. The land through the country seems to be very fertile and productive. Its nice to see the pretty grass farms, the fine fat horses and milch cows. Through the cities and towns, there are many things to see very interesting. The women take the place of men in many ways such as running street cars, auto, etc. Yet everything seems to be of a very old fashion. Nothing up to date. The substantial structure of the buildings consists only of stone, concrete or brick, very seldom ever see a porch to any house. There are many, many other things to see of great interest, also instructive as well. War seems to be ever present to all who are paying the prices of it.

We could not see these things without having a determination to do our bit in this great conflict. Of course, to us who wear the uniform there is some degree of uncertanty as to what the future holds for us. But as we stand up with strong hearts, as brave soldiers should have, with a full determination to do our very best in this great war, we lay aside every obstacle in view and take up the required work of fighting men, to put an end to "old Fritz," and his wonderful gang go there shall again be peace and prosperity restored to the world when we shall be permitted to return to our homes in the dear old U. S. A. and live in peace, and enjoy the comforts of home life. To me, everything looks very bright. I think America is here in time to save this beautiful country of France, and I am sure we are going to do our utmost to do it. But however should fate decree a different course rest assured we shall acquit ourselves as men, reflecting honor upon our country, making more sacred the stars and stripes in "old Glory" which has become to have a deeper meaning than I am able to describe. I feel sure the dear ones back home are immensely interested in our behalf and faithfully watch our course as to the time when we may return. You speak in your letter of the Red Cross workers, I must say that the Red Cross is playing a great game in helping to win the war, and I trust they will continue the good work, and try to get more people interested in doing their share. I am sure if everybody would be willing to do their bit the war would end much quicker.

Kitty, I have been able to see a few good looking French girls since I have been in France. The hardest thing for me to understand is their language, about all I can say to them, is, "Jer ner parl pah Fraunsay." Jer swee ah mery cang." I am an American. that's going some isn't it? Perhaps if I stay over here long enough I will be quite a Frenchman when I return.

We are having some good times over here, and I don't think our folks back home should worry, while it does no good. It is very interesting to see the boys so eagerly watching for a letter from someone back home. It is a great pleasure to get a letter from someone in "dear old Virginia." I will be pleased to hear from all my friends who wish to write me just a line. I have recently received one letter from you, which was appreciated. Hope to hear again soon.

Well, as my letter is getting rather lengthy, and I have told you about all I can think about, I will soon close this letter. Guess I have written more already than you care to read unless 'twas more interesting.

How's the weather at home now? Very warm I guess. A sweater worn at times, and sleeping under four or five wollen blankets has been very comfortable here.

Wishing you much success in all the undertakings you may wise to accomplish in the future, I remain,

Your friend,
Private, HENRY S. SHELL
Med. Detach. 317th Infantry
American Expeditionary Forces.