Paypal

Saturday, March 19, 2016

"War Incidentals of 1861-2-65 Statement by M. S. Hurt"

One morning about the first of June 1862, I with 15 sick comrades, was started on ahead to get out of the way.

John L. Fletcher was sent to help me along some three or 4 miles above Strasburg Va. Some Yanky Cavelry dashed in an capturd the 15 who was a short distance ahed. Jon and I escaped by hiding in a fence-corner under the cherry sprouts.

A few days afterward I left for home on 30 day furlow signd by Dr. Doak. Shortly after reaching home I commencd shoing up the soldiers stationd nearby, continueing it until I reinlisted by joining B. W. Jenkins Cavelry Co. was obedient unto his orders ever after ward untill the war closed.

I was in two raids or scouts. One with him and one with Lieutenant Scofield, and on the 16th of April 1865 I served as Corporal over a squad of men stationd on the Fincastle road north of Salem Va and was honorably discharged by him on the 13th of April 1865 by Capten himself.

M. S. Hurt

PS my left leg continued to give trouble the Dr said it was about to run into white swelling an I had better have it split and the bone scrapt that was in September 1865 it finely got better with out it.

[Written by Meekin S. Hurt of the 37th Virginia Infantry, October, 1925, as a part of his pension application.]