Paypal

Monday, March 5, 2018

World War I Letters of Russell County, Feburary 14, 1919

The following letter originally appeared in the February 14th, 1919 issue of the Lebanon News:

"SOLDIER'S LETTER.

Somewhere in France Dec. 5.

My dear Wife:

I will now answer your letter received a few minutes ago. You know I was glad to have another letter from you, for I have not heard from you for some little time. I have some spare time will write you again.

Would have written you sooner, but thought perhaps we would start for home soon.

Our Bn. was supposed to go across soon but got mixed up, so they said, and probably we will not get home now for some little time.

I am well now and getting along alright. We don't have much to do now since the war ended, so I spend the most of my time writing to you. If you get all the letters I write I know it will keep you busy reading them. Luther and I are still together yet and believe me, it is luck for us. We are at Fontenard now. Was over at Alton near Metz for a long while, not more than forty miles from there now. So you can just about look us up on the map.

We have been on the front since the first of September - under some heavy shell fire, but as luck was we got thru safe and sound.

I am lots better satisfied since the war has ceased. Got better hope of getting back home now. I hope to be home with you within the next two or three months. Can't [...] how it will be, you know we don't know anything only as it happens. Just here today and some where else tomorrow. You write and tell me if you all at home ever heard from Albert since the war ended. I have not seen or heard of him since I left Camp Lee. I'm afraid he will get started home before I do, but that's alright if he does, just so I get there too.

Luther has got one more of a bad cold but he's not serious. We very often get out to ourselves and talk of homefolks. You see that helps to pass the time off.

Listen, dear, I only wish you knew where I was now. Kindly a funny place. I spent the afternoon yesterday at Nancy. I would like to stop at that place for it is a pretty place alright. We are going to Paris real soon and you get I'm anxious for that trip.

Listen; you tell Mr. Candler that I want to shake hands with him for he wasn't in any war at all.

I am sending you and mother a little souvenire from France in remembrance of me. Hope they will be appreciated.

Tell Andy to write me, I wrote him some time ago, but have never heard from him yet. Hope to hear from him soon.

Had a letter from Coz. R. L. Johnson the other day but haven't gotten as many letters from you lately as I have been getting, but that isn't worrying me so much. All that I'm studying about now is when I will get started home. A month seems like a long time over here, but some parts of this country is alright but understand me, I'll take Home sweet Home any time.

So I will close now and go for supper. We have to walk about 12 miles a day for our meals.

Tell all the homefolks to write,
With much love to you,
From your loving Husband,
PVT. THOMAS CHAFIN,
C. C. 1ST A. A. M. G. Bn.
A. E. F."