Paypal

Saturday, December 3, 2016

William G. Price to John Wesley Martin, 1856

Lawrenc County Missouria this the 10th of February 1856

Dear cozin I take my pen in hand to inform you that I am well at present & hoping these few lines will find you & all connection & friends in that cuntry well. The peple is generally well here Aunt Hanner Muncy is well and well satestfied I think. Thomas P Robinson is well & well satestfied he is aliving at R P Andesons. I am aliving at John H Colleys & I have bin evry since I cam to this cuntry. I havnot ben over the cuntry mutch sinc I hav ben here I have ben in Green County & Dade County & ove Lawrenc write smart porton of it & Jasper County I hav bin in the edg of Jasper three or four miles there is sum as good land there as I every saw in my life that is the spring River bottoms it can be bought for 10 dollars pur aker that is improved land the up land is not so good it lays verry well it will perduse from 35 to 40ty bushels to the aker the farmers tell me so that has tride it. There is good land any direction you will go ther is good pravave land can be interd for one dollar per aker timber is sevse[?] here timber land can be bought for 5 to 7 dollars peur aker second handed. They is pore land her as they are there but it is not in cultivation for the farmers has to mutch good land to work [...] land I will tell you no more about the Cuntry for I expect Dave Price has give afull history of the cuntry to you

I want you to wright to mee what daivia said a bout this cuntry & about the folks that was living here right where R P A Price is & what they are a doing & what Marthy Chatman says about this cuntry & where the old man Price died in Kentucky & tell Mothers folks that I am well the hvtest that I ever was in my life is one hundred & eighty & Aunt Cilar Colley Splica the back of my vest this morning with the patch about 6 inches whide. It has been very cold this winter here the snow is a bout 15 inches at this time after a rane yesterday of a bout five hours. Tell James Chatman to wright to me for I would have written to him before now if I had of knew where to direct my letter to. I will look for John P Robinson and you next fall according to promis

Thomas P Robinson is a nocking around the girles like the dickens. I went a corting last Saturday was a week I never had been ther before after dark a while I cornerd on her and I asked her for her company & she turnd hur head to one sid and what do you think she said Y she said he he he. I set there about two hours and talked with all of my might all that she should say was he he he he & then I asked wat bed I slep in & she pointed hur finger I hauld of my britches & loped in & I said to my self spank spank.

Yess liked to forget I was in a hunting scrap the uther day they was 4 of us and wey kiled three deer but take notic I did not kill the first hate the next day or two wey all went out on a turky hunt and the brona ketcht three on horses

ExCuse bad wrighting and bad speling for the wether is very cold.

Direct your letter to Boweres Mill PO

Something more at present but remanes your friend and relation

William G Price to J W Martin
Lwrenc County Mo

Stalls Creek Mo
Feb 15th

Russell County Va
Rose dale PO
John W Martin