Paypal

Sunday, July 3, 2016

World War I Letters of Russell County, November 22, 1918

The following letter originally appeared in the November 22nd, 1918 issue of the Lebanon News.

"Somewhere in France, Sept. 11.

My dear Mother:

We have landed at last and are one tired bunch. I did not get sick while crossing until the last few days of our sailing. As long as the waters were calm I was alright but on the last they were wild. One of the sailors on board told me it was the roughest trip he had made and he had been across five times.

I spent so much of my time down in deck in my bunk reading, as I had a good ventilation right over me and preferred this to being out on deck so much. I never felt the least fear in crossing as there were a number of large transports in our convoy, and they stayed so close that I could talk to the boys on the boats at times. I enjoyed being on deck and watching the clouds, waves and flying fish.

Well after landing at the long talked of place "Over There" and resting a few days we were sent across France and am now at the foot hills of the Alps. I can look up and see the snow on Mt. Blanc, although we have been going in our shirt sleeves all day.

Tell Ethel that little did I think of ever seeing the Alps when she used to coach me on my declamation, "Beyond the Alps Lies Italy."

This is a wonderful country and the climate is great. I enjoyed rest on the coast of France when we landed so much. The buildings were so historical looking, and some of Napoleon's barracks made of stone were located where we camped. I was at a program one night while there, that was given by an American lady and a madomisselle. It was great, most all the songs they sang were in English. The French lady could play the piano beautifully and speak English slowly but brokenly.

We were three days and nights crossing France. We are located at a Base hospital and I have been working so very hard. For the first few days I worked equipping the hospital, mixing some medicines, etc. On the first three days I issued 4,500 blankets. If I have another equipment to make I'll know better how to do it. Since then I have been enlisting the patients that come in and take their condition. I like my work, have excellent eatables and I do not think of being "over here" as long as I'm right down to work in camp but I do when I get out, and I'm ready to come back when it's all over.

The big guns are playing one tune this morning, and you so often see search lights going over, but you must not worry about me as I am safe.

Has Claude, Homer and Charlie entered yet?

Tell Mary Lou I will bring her one of these cute little French babies when I come home.

How are they all down at aunt Mary's and is Jimmie still in Tenn., and having success practicing.

I suppose the children are in school by now, tell Lance and Leon not to lose any time.

Tell Ethel and Alda I will write them next and will write some of you every few days.

Please send me address of any of the boys whom I know. So many come into the hospital wounded. I have not seen any I know, but am on the lookout for some.

Send me some kodak pictures soon and write me often, for you have no idea how I'd like to have news from home, and letters that were old are new now.

Your son,
JERRY McFADDIN.